What do Apple, Amazon and Google all have in common? If you said that they are all multi-billion-dollar companies, you would be correct, but it is not the answer I am looking for. If you said they are all innovative businesses, again you would be correct, but still not the answer I am looking for. But if you said they all started in a garage then you have the right answer.
Renting office space can be a costly burden to a fledgling company, and working out of your home can be inconvenient, but thankfully converting your garage is both reasonably priced and relatively simple job. Follow this handy guide for help converting your garage from a place to store cars and junk to a high-quality office.
- Insulation – you do not want your garage to be too warm in the summer and too cold in the winter. Invest in some quality insulation and install it on the back of the door. If the ceiling is not insulated, add insulation there as heat rises and escapes through the ceiling.
- Carpet – A carpet will not only make the space look more like an office and less like a garage, it will also make the space warmer in the winter.
- Weather seal – A quality garage door threshold seal will prevent drafts, rain, and water from entering the garage. This will help ensure that office furniture and stock remain undamaged. We recommend investing in a thermoplastic weather seal as these are not eaten by rodents and will therefore prevent them from entering and eating stock and furnishings.
- Extension lead multi-socket – This is a great money saver. Rather than spending a lot of money having multiple electrical sockets installed, use an extension lead from the house into the garage. This will provide you with additional sockets should you need to power an air conditioner, computer, printer or other electrical equipment. Just make sure you remember to unplug and switch off at the end of the day for safety.
- Shelving – This step is an optional one and will depend on the nature of your business. For those of you who will have stock, shelving units, storage bins and labels will be an important part of improving efficiency in the day-to-day running of the business.
With these basics in place, you are now ready to launch the next multi-billion-dollar company! Good luck!