When the weather warms up, it’s the perfect time to get projects done outdoors. Whether you’re restoring a classic car, building furniture or just catching up on basic home improvement tasks, you’ll probably spend some of that time in your garage.
Unfortunately, most garages weren’t built with comfort in mind, offering only the bare minimum when it comes to keeping you comfortable, especially when the sun is beating down. Knowing how to cool down a garage can make it easier for you to get your work done without too much sweat. Here are some ideas you can use to keep your garage cool without AC.
- Open the door —Perhaps one of the easiest ways to cool a garage is to keep the door and windows open. This will allow for a breeze while you’re working. The downside is that you won’t have any privacy, so if you have nosy neighbors you might want to try another solution.
- Install a ceiling fan — If you’re looking to cool down your garage, you could do worse than putting up a ceiling fan to circulate the air. Just make sure your ceilings are high enough to accommodate it.
- Try ventilation — If you’re wondering how to cool down a hot garage without HVAC equipment, some roof vents could be the answer. These will allow hot air to escape the building and keep it from feeling stuffy.
- Put in an exhaust fan — Unlike a ceiling-mounted option, exhaust fans pull air out of the space, increasing airflow and making it feel cooler. This can be an especially helpful option if you do woodworking or other hobbies that involve chemicals that create hazardous fumes.
- Use it in the morning or at night — If you’ve tried everything and still don’t know how to cool off your garage, you might consider working in the early morning hours or after sunset when temperatures generally are more comfortable.
- Make sure it’s insulated — Most garages are built without the same amount of insulation as is used in residential spaces. That means heat from outside is transferred to the inside much more easily. Insulating the interior can block a significant amount of heat and make the conditions inside a bit more hospitable for you.
Beat The Heat
Proper insulation means sealing your garage so that cooler air can’t escape and warm air can’t get inside. A threshold seal from Garadry can help by creating a seal between your door and floor. See our complete product line and choose an easy-to-install solution for your needs.