A garage door serves many important functions. However, few homeowners take full advantage of what it can do for the appearance of their home. Considering the amount of square footage a garage door commands, it can be a blank canvas with tremendous potential impact on your home’s overall look. In fact, a garage door makeover can be a wise investment for a number of reasons. It can boost your resale value, increase your curb appeal and provide an opportunity to further personalize your home. Whether or not your door is due for an upgrade, refreshing it as part of a garage exterior makeover can be a highly satisfying project. Here are some garage door makeover ideas you can consider for your home.
- Decorative windows — Adding windows to your garage door can improve the natural lighting inside as well as provide aesthetic benefits. By adding windows to your existing garage door or choosing a new door that features them, you can introduce some variety to the appearance of your structure.
- Vintage hardware — Sometimes, a few minor details are all that’s needed for an updated look. Adding some hardware to approximate a carriage door can be a quick and easy refresh. You also could consider switching your light fixtures to something that pops, such as brass lanterns. Think about what would be most appropriate from an architectural standpoint.
- Natural wood — If you have aluminium or steel doors, you may want to consider replacing them with wood. Whether painted or stained, it brings a natural appearance to your façade. Depending on the materials used on your home’s exterior, it may create a more pleasing aesthetic.
- Faux finishes — If you’d rather keep your metal doors but don’t like the way they look, you might be able to transform them with a faux finish. These finishes can make your door look like wood or other material while giving you the durability and energy efficiency of the existing material.
- Insulation — This upgrade may be invisible to the naked eye, but it can provide you with added comfort and energy savings. You can install a kit that will increase the insulation of your current door or replace your garage door with an insulated model. Either way, additional insulation can limit the intrusion of cold and heat and prevent your HVAC system from working harder than it should.
FINISHING THE MAKEOVER
Updating your doors is a great opportunity to optimize them so you get the most bang for your buck. For instance, adding a threshold seal from Garadry will prevent unwanted elements from getting into your garage. Snow, rain, cold air, debris and vermin can all be blocked by a threshold, which can be easily installed along your floor. Browse through our complete product line and get the added protection you need.